From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:48:27 -0800

Hi all!

I am looking for a moisterizer that is safe for celiacs. To date I have
used Marcelle (Canadian product), Almay hypoallergenic moisterizer, and as
a last resort, straight mineral oil after a bath to trap moisture in the
skin.  I now find that all 3 products produce puffiness around my eyes,
some blotching in other areas, but the problem is mostly around the eyes
where I apply the most concentrated products. The symptoms were intense
itching, swelling of the eyelids, and pinprick points of redness all
around the areas where I applied the eye products.  (think 'racoon' in
red).

I have also tried Aquaeous Cream by
a Vancouver company and within a few hours noticed redness around my eyes,
so I washed it off. I also tried The Body Shop moisterizers with the same
result.  I checked the ingredient lists of all and apart from the Body
Shop, they all contained mineral oil-that was the common ingredient. Has
anyone else had trouble with any products containing mineral oil and also,
are there any products marketed in Canada that other celiacs have found to
Ok to use on the skin? I was going to try Vit A capsules until I found
that they are a derivative of wheatgerm.

I would like to find a rich nighttime eye cream and a daily moisturizer
that is also quite rich (in cosmetics terms, oils are a major ingredient).

I am also looking for a good shampoo line which
doesn't have wheat products as my shampoo has begun to irritate me. I
welcome advice from any country, although it's easier to get products that
are made in Canada for me. I am fairly sure that the problem doesn't (yet)
lie in cosmetics per se as I swore off all cosmetics for 2 weeks and upon
trying the new moisturizers got an almost immediate reaction. It goes
without saying that I have used mineral oil for years with no problems but
the more I adhere to the diet, the more things bother my skin. This is
probably a good sign that I am following the diet carefully :) but it is
the first time that my old standby skin care products have caused trouble!

I will post a summary followup and classify things as far as possible by
country, so it will be helpful if people who respond will let me know
where they are from as regional differences are important.

I would also be interested in the types of reactions people have had to
products that don't work for them. Mine have been swelling, puffing,
itching, redness, and finally flaking of skin around the afffected area.

in case this is helpful: I am lactose, corn, rice, and dairy intolerant.

Thanks,
Lissy