From:
mary schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:59:32 -0700

One of my son's friends has what has been diagnosed as psoriasis.  He is
also extremely thin, has hideous digestive problems, bone pain, etc., etc.,
etc.  He has also been given a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.  The skin
problem, which is extreme, has been going on for 10 years.  He is only 25.
He has never had any sort of clinical testing, not even a blood test, to
confirm either the psoriasis or arthritis diagnosis.  He has been on all
sorts of medications for the past 10 years.

He is now part of a clinical trial for some new heavy-duty drug to get his
skin under control.  The doctors have said he'll have to trade longevity for
quality of life.  I saw it (the eruptions) tonight.  It is just amazing.  I
don't know how he manages.  His back and stomach and scalp and arms are
almost entirely covered in huge scabby lesions that are intensely red.  He
has itching and burning before the skin erupts in small dots that then grow
into large (about 2" in diameter) sores.  I've looked a little at the DH
information and because of his digestive and bone problems have encouraged
him to look at CD as another avenue to investigate.  He has pretty much come
to the end of his rope.  He says he feels terribly old and worn out and
without hope.  It is heart-breaking to see a 25 year old suffer so much both
physically and emotionally.

Are there any DH people out there that have had an original diagnosis of
psoriasis?    How did you find out that your skin troubles were DH?  Any
kind of direction for investigation that anyone can point him in would be
very appreciated.