Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 23:06:16 -0700

Javier Alzerreca wrote:

>Business incentive!
Yep, money makes the world go round that's for sure.

I have an idea, but I don't know how viable it is due to the variations
I've read in blood tests for celiac disease.
Here's my idea:  Do health insurance companies know how much celiac
disease (both diagnosed and undiagnosed) are costing them per year?
If I was director of an insurance company, I would try to come up with a
way to determine who has it and try to keep them healthy before they
cost me money.  If a cheap and easy blood test could be developed... (am
I just fantasizing here?)  Well, you can see the ramifications.
Insurance companies have LOTS of clout with government.  They would
DEMAND that foods be labeled for allergens(like for smoking).  They
would ENLIGHTEN the population about the hazards of gluten for those
with CD(like for smoking).  They would ENCOURAGE testing in their
members (like for breast cancer).   Health maintenance is big stuff
right now.   Any ideas how we can get our feet in the door?
All comments, positive and negative are welcome cuz if I'm just
dreaming, get me off this cloud! :)

Maria