Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 01:13:25 -0600

Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my query regarding biopsy
results after being GF for one year, particularly for those who took
several years to be diagnosed.  I wanted to try to figure the odds of
there still being damage after one year.  Based on the replies I
received, it looks like this:

A total of 17 persons replied, most of whom had longterm illness prior
to diagnosis, as well as the parent of an 18-month-old child.

Two persons did not have repeat biopsies and continue to feel well on a
GF diet.  Another person showed no damage when a second biopsy was done
at 4 yrs (a 1-yr biopsy was not done)

Of the remaining 14, three were completely healed within a year (one at
8 months).

The remaining 11 who replied all showed at least some intestinal damage
at the second biopsy (ten were done at 1 yr and one was done at 2 yrs).
Some had considerable but incomplete healing amd some still had
significant damage. Two persons showed complete healing with a third
biopsy, and two persons continue to show damage with every subsequent biopsy.

The bottom line is that of those 14 who had second biopsies after one
year of being GF plus one person whose second biopsy was done at 2 yrs,
three had healed completely and 11 hadn't.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.  And to those who
shared their experiences, I wish I could have replied to each one, we
all have such similar stories.

Marcia Bignall