From:
marian wisnev <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marian wisnev <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:16:23 -0600

Thank you all who told me that I would love Amsterdam, that most people
spoke English.  I have copied 2 responses for those who asked for future
trips.
"I have eaten at a Rijsttafel in Amsterdam. I was with a large group. I
had
the restaurant information card in English and in Dutch from the Canadian
Celiac Association and gave them to the head waiter. He told me which
dishes
I could not eat and cooked me a separate meat dish to replace them. I had
wonderful time because of the fellowship of the dinner and enjoyed the
meal
too.

Here is the message in Dutch:
Ik kan niet tegen tarwe, gerst, rogge en haver - d.w.z. dat ik geen
gerechten mag eten warin een of meerdere van genoemde graansorten
verwerkt
zijn, in de vorm meel, brood, paneermeel en dergilijks."

A wonderful woman who lives in Amsterdam sent several messages including
this one:

"I have called several resaturants. Some are closed on
Mondays, so I can't give you any information on those.
Tempo Doeloe in the Utrechtsestraat 73 is very well informed about all
sorts
of diets, including the glutenfree one. Their rijsttafel is glutenfree.
They
only have little stuffed dough things as starters. They said they are
very
particular about eveything.
The kroepoek and emping (shrimp chips and bean chips) are glutenfree.
Their
phone number is 625-6718. Reservations two days before. The price is
around
25 euro's for a menu. For a rijsttafel that might be a bit more, I don't
know.

Djago on the Scheldeplein 18 is also informed about a glutenfree diet.
Their
food is good. Don't know about their rijsttafel. You would have to ask
them.
Their phone number is 664-2013.

Bunga Mawar on the Zeedijk 41 (red light district, you have to be alert,
but
a nice area) seems to be quite authentic and very reasonably priced. Good
food for little money. They only accept cash. They were closed, so I
can't
tell you anymore about them. Phone 620-3472.

Here are a couple more names:
Djanoko, Van Baerlestraat 61, 662-9695
Tujuh Maret, Utrechtsetraat 73, 427-9865 (very chique)
Anda Nugraha, Waterlooplein 369, 626-6064

If you need to know anymore, you can always contact me. Good luck and
have a
nice time in Amsterdam."

How great it was to hear from someone in Amsterdam.  I am truly grateful.
 Hope this helps all who asked for replies.  Marian