From:
Jim Ricketts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:27:56 -0400

     Dear Betsy,

     As I understand it you have a girl who
     1. Is entering puberty,
     2. Is at risk of low calcium due to diet,
     3. Is possibly (but not confirmed) celiac,
     4. Has bone pain, quite severe.

     You do not indicate whether the pain is associated with a joint or
     muscle insertion, or a specific bone.
     Is it worse or does it localise on exercise?  You seem to indicate
     that she has pain when she sleeps.
     Have you seen a paediatrician?

     In my opinion,

     Growing pain can be quite localised, and due to specific attachments
     on specific bones (you may feel a lump below the knee that doesn't
     correspond to one on the other knee), or a little generalised.  The
     mechanism is thought to be increased force during exercise against
     growing portions (the end plates) of long bones.  [More informed
     comment from other readers is appreciated here!]  Stress fractures can
     be associated with calcium depletion or with heavy exercise, and would
     be localised.  In both cases things are worse with exercise.  In the
     second case paediatric advice is required. (Why the calcium
     depletion?)

     Many celiacs report a degree of arthritis - reportedly often in a
     single joint.

     Generalised bone pain, noticed at night is not a feature that I have
     read about in celiac.

     There are many other causes of bone pain and in a youngster many of
     these are difficult to diagnose, and require expertise.  If you have
     not seen a paediatrician I suggest you do so.