From:
John Dankowych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 15:25:05 -0500

List mates,

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions as to where I could buy a
Zojirushi V20 bread maker. I ended up ordering from the Internet Kitchen
( http://www.your-kitchen.com ) for $175.00. I could not find a supplier
in the Toronto area. The Zojirushi web site lists two sites in the
Toronto area. One only repairs them, while the other did not have any in
stock.

With this breadmaker I was able to make better rice bread than any
commercially available. (Except for perhaps the "Rollin' In Dough" rice
bread which is unfortunately now out of the gluten-free bread making
business.) It actually tastes good untoasted.  I have now made three
loaves of rice bread. I could not find any recipes on this list that are
specific for the BBCC-V20, so I started with Bette Hagman's New Formula
yeast bread recipe. In her third book, she has recipes for 1 and 1.5 lb
breads. I scaled the ingredients up for a 2 lb breadmaker. My first
bread was pretty good, but too sweet and too yeasty. It didn't rise to
the top of the baking pan. My second loaf was much better - not sweet,
not yeasty and rose higher. The third loaf rose even higher. The 2nd and
third loaves seemed to drop about 1/2 inch while baking. I presume this
is normal as the whole bread seems to shrink. I am now trying to get it
to rise as much as possible in order to get as light and fluffy a bread
as I can. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If anyone else has
modified Bette's recipes for the BBCC V20 please post or E-mail directly
to me. Thanks..

Here is the modified recipe (3rd loaf):
WET INGREDIENTS
4 whole eggs (I used 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites in first loaf)
1 3/4 cups water
4 tablespoons melted clarified butter
1 1/3 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses

DRY INGREDIENTS
3 cups white rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca
3 tablespoons potato flakes (are these the same as potato buds?)
3 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/3 teaspoons salt
1 1/3 teaspoons egg replacer - (ENER G)
2 tablespoons sugar (I used 6 tablespoons sugar in the first loaf - it
tasted almost like cake)

YEAST
3 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free (regular) yeast (I used 3 teaspoons in the
second loaf)

Zojirushi BBCC-V20 Cycle times
Pre-heating  22 min
Knead        20 min (was 30 min in first two loaves)
Rise 3       70 min
Bake         70 min

Regards,

John Dankowych