From:
Mitzi Berkhout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 08:53:12 EDT

I make my own vanilla and it is very good!

1 pint bottle of light dry rum (Bacardi is GF)
2 vanilla beans
2 tlbs. light brown sugar

Remove two tlbs. of rum from the bottle and replace it with 2 tlbs. of brown
sugar using a funnel.  Split the vanilla beans in half exposing the beans and
drop them into the bottle of rum.  Replace the cap and shake the bottle.  Set
aside somewhere on the counter top in the kitchen where you can see it daily.
Shake twice a day for the first week, then once a day for the second week,
then every other day or when you think of it.  Let set for 6 weeks to 3
months, the longer the better as the taste improves with age.
You have yourself a very good tasting vanilla that will not bake out.
When I start to use my vanilla, I make another bottle and then when my first
bottle is used up I have another bottle of good vanilla to use.  Then I start
over again and it is a continuous chain.

Mitzi in Michigan