From:
Laurie Calvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:44:59 -0400

Hi All,

After many tries with different types of baked goods, I've duplicated this
scenario over and over:  I make a quick bread and instead of *bad flour*, I
use GF Flour (usually the light bean flour mix mentioned in Bette's book).
It cooks up great in the oven, rises, I peek through the window in my oven
and it looks great.  Timer goes off, I test with toothpick and if clean,
pull the item out of the oven.   After cooling, the quick bread falls about
an inch and a half.

I can duplicate this behavior with cakes made from scratch (vs. packages)
and if I use my bread machine for the dough but put it in the oven, the
bread rises nice and then falls while cooling.

Is this just a by-product of GF cooking for all things to fall after
cooling?  Does anyone have tips - this morning I thought maybe I should have
left the item in the oven and turned it off to let the item cool in a warm
oven.  As an added note, some of these items end up tasting ok and some are
just horrible and gooey after cooling so I dump them.

I'll summarize if anyone is interested.

Laurie
Boston, MA