From:
Linda Scalice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2010 05:41:21 EDT

I received a number of responses regarding my question on  whether or not
to continue using my well used Pampered Chef baking dish after a  one-time
error with College Inn (not GF) broth as a cooking liquid. Here is the  list:
*I think the  dish is safe.  To be on the safe side you could test one of
those kits that  measure gluten ppm.
*Soap and water get rid of gluten molecules. As for what is  absorbed by
various materials: depends. I know to some it's heresy  to say this, but I
think about the parts per million and make judgements from  there. Say a very
small amount (at most) of broth is absorbed by the stoneware.  The wheat
molecules are only a minute fraction of that. I would not  worry.
*After being so well  seasoned it becomes almost like a nonstick pan and
doesn't absorb the same way  as when it is newer.  I would not worry about the
one time use with  something that had such a minimal  mount of gluten in it
to begin  with.  Think of it like this... if you cook fish in it one day
and  then something else the next, it doesn't taste like fish from the day
before.  Frankly, you would probably get more "contamination" from  bread
crumbs (if she also uses regular bread) that you don't see on the  counter.  I
would not use the pan for  both gf and non-gf everyday but  this once seems
so minute of a  possibility that I would not worry about  it.  If you are
still  concerned, maybe you cook some water in it and  then toss the water out.
am not expert of course but I say... keep the pan  and enjoy it.  And now
she knows for next time... so that there won't  be one. :-)
*My stoneware is used for  both wheat and non-wheat items and I have never
had a problem.  I usually  soak it in very hot water after each use
*I have a pizza stone  that I used to make regular pizza crust on.  I now
use it for my GF pizzas.  When I made GF pizza for the first time, it never
occurred to me that it  might be a problem until we had already eaten.
Anyway, I'm very sensitive  to gluten and I haven't had a problem.  I will say
that after that first  time, I gave the stone a good scrubbing with very, very
hot water and a coarse  scrubby.
*I hate to say it, but I would get you some new stoneware. They are so
pourous that the cost to you financially will be worth your health  physically
to buy new ones.  Now your mom has her own stoneware and make  sure you keep
track of who's is which. This goes the same for wooden  sppons.  You shoudl
buy new once post diagnosis of Gluten Intolerance or  Celiac Disease for
the same reason.  Hope this  helps!
*I would  not use any shared cookware- especially stoneware. Why chance  it?
*Wash  and scrub it well several times. I use the 125 year old cast iron
frying  pan that belonged to my great grandmother, grandmother and mother. Get
her  some pots that she can use.
*No problem.  Just wash thoroughly in hot,  soapy water and rinse well
*You might try soaking it in a strong bleach or  acid, which would degrade
the proteins. Also stoneware can be heated to a VERY  high heat as long as
it's done slowly and cooled slowly ... that would deform  the proteins too.
There isn't a LOT of protein in chicken broth so I'd think  it's ok though.
*I recently thought of the same situation with my pampered  chef stone
cookie and pizza baker.  I got rid of it.  I haven't used  it since  going
gluten free & pulled it out one day and looked at it's  nice brown glaze and
remembered all the wheat flour cookies and pizza that had  been baked on it.  I
decided it was not worth the risk.
*I stoped using my pizza  stones for my daughters gf food.  She gets very
ill and I didn't want to  risk any contamination.
*I cross contanimate my  pampered chef stoneware all the time. Just make
sure to wash well in HOT  water.  I don't think things leach out of the stones
during cooking.   Otherwise, foods would taste like eachother when you use
it.

Thanks to all who  answered my question. The support from the group members
is  priceless!
I decided to continue to use my dish. This was a one-time only error and  I
weighed the pros and cons for myself. Since I believe that there is not
much  wheat in the broth and my stone is so well used and seasoned, I gave it a
go. I  had washed it with hot water and scrubbed it good. The meal I
prepared it in  "ost-issue" was fine and I had no visible effects from it. Mom is
being extra  careful now and we don't plan to use the stoneware for any
non-GF foods in the  future.