From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:22:36 PST

In answering a private E-mail on the question of lymphoma in celiac disease,
I included three selected quotes from one of the two key research papers on
the question.

I decided to put these quotes on the patient list because I thought they
might be of general interest. The following quotes are from the paper by
Richard F. Logan and co-workers. 1989. Mortality in Celiac Disease.
Gastroenterology 97:265-71.

There is "...a greatly increased relative risk of small-intestinal lymphoma in
celiacs."

"Nevertheless, it is clear that the absolute risk of a celiac dying from a
small-intestinal lymphoma is small, particularly when those whose lymphoma
developed shortly after diagnosis are excluded."

"A reassuring finding is the normal mortality rate of celiacs diagnosed in
childhood in whom there have been no deaths (or cancer registrations) from small
intestinal lymphoma."

"In our population of celiacs, the death rate from all lymphoproliferative
disease 5 years after diagnosis was 1.4 per 1000 compared with an overall
mortality rate of 11 per 1000."

Altlhough I think the statistical data on this subject are rather weak
because of the lack of sufficient numbers of patients, I suspect that these
general statements are worth considering and may be reassuring to many people.

Don Kasarda, Albany, California