Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 09:38:00 -0400

Here is a new Celiac dilema I haven't seen addressed before.  I have been
biopsy diagnosed for about 18 months.  I have been pretty successful in
creating a GF house/kitchen for myself....teaching my 3 kids, and a live in
boyfriend to be respectful of my needs, and careful of crumbs etc.  We all
have our own dishes, own cupboard space, and frig shelves.  I leave their
food alone, and they leave mine alone.

Here is the dilema.  I do babysitting for a living.  As long as the parents
let me feed their kids I have no problems, and most of them are fed GF to
make my life easier.

Recently, the babies are turning into toddlers, and the parents insist on
sending their darlings cookies, teething biscuts, waffles, etc...which I am
expected to HAND FEED..and then of course there is the crumbs issue ( not to
mention YUCK under my nails) There is the baby spit up issue, there is the
issue of the special needs child I watch who eats nothing but cream of
wheat..hand fed by me ...and she DOES SPIT!!

I tried gloves, but the kids shy away from them, and it is inconvenient to
put them on and off all day long.....  I try NOT feeding the cookies and
stuff that is sent over, but then I feel guilty for wasting food..  Only a
few of the parents know of my celiac, which (I actually consider none of
their business at any rate)...  Please send any suggestions you may have...
I have not yet gotten a reaction from these "goodies", but it is a new thing
these past few days...  I get spit on all the time, (of course)...the crumbs
go everywhere......  I do not know what to do...

I have been doing child care for over 20 years, so switching jobs is not
really an option..  I hesitate telling the parents, cause then it sounds like
I am whinning..and I don't consider my dietary needs something they really
need to know anyway..

TYIA!!!
rana