Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 08:57:41 -0700

At 11:24 AM 5/15/00 -0400, Carolyn Gage wrote:

>Five percent with diagnosed disorders such as Parkinson's disease had
>the antibodies, while 12 percent of a group of healthy controls had
>them, they reported in the Lancet medical journal.
>
>"This seems to be much commoner than people think," Hadjivassiliou said
>in a telephone interview.
>
>"Up to at least one in 250 people may well have coeliac disease. If you
>include people that have anti-gliadin antibodies, who may not
>necessarily have coeliac disease but have gluten sensitivity, then the
>numbers get even higher."

This was an interesting article. But my first question would be: If five
percent with neural disorders show antigliadin antibodies, and twelve
percent of the healthy controls did also, then wouldn't this indicate a
negative relationship between diseases such as Parkinson's and gluten
sensitivity?

And, If one of every 250 of the neurally damaged have CD, this sounds very
close to what it is in the general population. It doesn't seem to indicate
much correlation, does it? -vance