Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:41:57 -0500

>  Dear Listmates -
> Wow!  Mixed responses on this - and lots of
>
> Many listmates said they won't go to Applebee's at all.
> Corporate is not helpful, their local Applebee's is uncooperative
> and not helpful.  Some said they can eat a plain mixed greens
> salad, but that even that has a risk of contamination from stray
> croutons, according to the Corporate office.
>
> Others said there are things they or their offspring have eaten
> at Applebee's and not had a reaction to - blackened
> fish on rice, Fiesta Lime chicken salad, Santa Fe chicken salad.
>
> One of the people who ate successfully at Applebee's said they wiped
> the grill down for her.  Well, that wouldn't do it for me - They
> probably wipe
> it with a cloth full of gluten, and wiping it won't get all traces of
> gluten off
> anyway. Neither will scraping it.  I am very sensitive.
>
> One listmate said her server was very careful, understood the
> restrictions,

     and she was happy with her experience at Applebee's.

     After reviewing all of the responses, I have mixed feelings, and
feel that it
     could be more trouble for me than it is worth, unless I go ask a
lot of questions
     when they aren't too busy.  I have mentioned to a couple of
listmates that one
     solution for items made on a grill is to request that the item be
made in a clean
     pan, with a clean spatula, in olive oil that you bring in a little
squirt bottle, or
     in uncontaminated pure butter.

     Thanks to everyone for your great responses!
      Vicki in Illinois