From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:48:32 -0500

Jennie-O makes an excellent frozen breast of turkey that is GF --
although the gravy packet contains wheat flour, something that seems
to be typical of many turkey breasts.  I simply remove the gravy
pouch and toss it, and cook the turkey breast with my own seasonings,
etc.

However, recently when I purchased one of these turkeys, I carefully
snipped just below the metal crimping bracket/staple (that holds the
plastic around the turkey), which is how I typically open a turkey
breast or other poultry.  Immediately, all the contents of the gravy
package came flowing out and into the bird.  I did not open the gravy
package myself, but it was already broken open.  I tried to rinse all
the gravy out of the turkey breast, but it was impossible to get it
out from all the rib bones.  I went ahead and cooked it, and only ate
the very top of the breast (where I could thoroughly rinse it), but
did not dare try the rib-adjacent portions because this part was
clearly tainted (even visibly) with gravy.  Thankfully I have a
husband who could eat this part!

I thought this to be a random accident -- but this week I bought
another package of the same brand.  I VERY VERY carefully opened it
-- this time, from the other end (without the crimping staple).  What
I discovered in doing this was that the gravy packet is actually
caught up and crimped into the metal bracket, such that severing the
plastic just under the bracket will ALWAYS result in the gravy pouch
breaking open.

I have to believe that this is what happened to the first turkey
breast I purchased as well.  I have written the company, hoping that
this is something that is not deliberately done, and something that
can be remedied.  Not only because it is easy to accidentally cut
open the gravy packet, but also because I think the crimping itself
could easily pierce the gravy packet, causing the entire breast to be
bathed in wheat-containing gravy.

Just a heads up for those of you who buy this brand.