From:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:44:02 -0800

This is what Ricola has at their website:

  In the United States, there are no established government standards as to what can be considered gluten-free or what is safe for use in celiac patients. Our products contain less than 0.01% gluten. We urge you to share this information with your doctor or to contact the Celiac Sprue Association of the USA @1-877-CSA-4CSA.

  Here are the different responses that were emailed to this listserv from members.

  1. Dr. Fasano last week in Baltimore said that they have decided that 200 parts per million is GF or .0002.  1 part in 100 would be 1.000%.  I think that is too high.

  2. Walgreens has a GF list that you can have the pharmacist print for you. There are several flavors of their cough drops that are GF.

3. I contacted them about six months ago. They said it is corn syrup starch - they just say that about the less
than 0.01% to cover their butt. I eat them every day - no problems.

4. I had a slight reaction to the Ricola herbal drops, so I quit using them.  I have not found a suitable replacement yet.  I'm allergic to FD&C dyes too, so that rules out a lot.  If you find a good replacement, let us know.

  5. I'm guessing the starch syrup is similar to glucose syrup. You might want to ask them that. If they say it is, it's gf no matter what it's made from. The processing removes all the proteins. (info from several recent articles in the magazine Gluten-Free Living--a publication you might well find useful)

    6. Just so all are aware and check.  Most glucose syrups are gluten containing, so be sure to call each company that have any ingredients with that in the label.  Who would have thought glucose syrup would be wheat based ??
  Just an FYI for you all.  Halls sugar free cough drops are gf, but the regualr ones are not.