From:
JOHN E SANDERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:39:54 -0600

Original Message:

I heard a report on a National Public Radio (NPR) recently that brought
some questions to mind.  The segment was on golden rice, a genetically
altered rice that is iron enriched while growing.  According to the
segment, rice normally does not contain iron due to a gene that prevents
iron absorption during the rice plants growth.  The segment further
implied that peoples on rice based diets were lacking in iron.

My questions are related to iron absorption in a diet based in
traditional rice.  Would a diet based in rice or rice products prevent
iron absorption by the body?  Does consuming rice prevent absorption of
iron in other foods or iron supplements by the body as indicated in the
NPR segment?  What are the implications of this for the celiac
community?

Summary of Responses:

--

The worst thing for iron absorption is phytic acid.  But phytic acid is
in the bran, and white rice has had the bran removed.  See phytic acid

  http://www.PaleoDiet.com/losspts.txt

Don Wiss

--

FYI it was on 1/13/2000 broadcast of NPR's Morning Edition.  I meant to
post on this before.  I too am interested what others think.  I , like

here's the link
http://search.npr.org/cf/cmn/cmnpd01fm.cfm?PrgDate=1%2F13%2F2000&PrgID=3

--

I'd be in shock to learn rice was a problem for iron absorption, since
rice-based diets are so common.  But if it is, the answer is simple

--

my dietitian said to take iron supplements (or any vitamins) with orange
juice - it helps in the absorption.