From:
Harlene Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:52:08 -0500

Listmates,

Just wanted to pass along some of the other ideas about mock oatmeal
that I received.  Notice I am sidestepping the 'eat oats or not'
controversy.  This is for those who don't eat oats or as an alternative
if you eat oats once or twice a week.

add chopped walnuts and/or flax seeds--makes for nice texture!

 I have found Cream of Buckwheat to be wonderful with a little brown
sugar and non-dairy milk.

 My rice cooker also makes rice porridge, but I haven't tried
it yet.  Have you tried rice flakes or buckwheat flakes?  I haven't
tried them in cereal, but in baking the buckwheat flakes give a similar
texture to oatmeal.

 I use flax oil which is chock full of Omega fatty acids
instead of melted butter since it has a wonderful, smooth buttery
flavor. Pour it over the food as it is cooling off - just before eating.

I wanted to tell you of another recipe called "Congee".  In a crock pot
the night before put one cup of brown rice and between 6-9 (I think 9,
but can't remember for sure) cups of water.  Let cook all night and
it'll be ready in the morning. Very much like oatmeal.

If you make a lot you can freeze it in bags and defrost as you need it.
I feel the same way about cream of rice and discovered  the combination
several years ago when I was desperate for oatmeal too.

Great recipe!!  I found another was to mimic the flavour of oatmeal:
brown rice porridge with ground flax seeds. Cook already cooked (or left
over)short grain brown rice in  water (the amounts I use vary.  Also
depends on my mood: thick, thin, etc) for about 10 minutes. When done,
remove from the stove and stir in ground up flax seeds (dont cook the
seeds.  You'll lose their nice essential fatty acids.)

It was in the single digits last night in Boston so I will be trying my
mock oatmeal with some ground flax seeds this morning!

Enjoy,
Harlene