Beverly Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:24:25 EST

I want to thank all of you who sent me suggestions for what you thought was
important to include when getting a newspaper story written.   Some were so
good that I just printed them out, highlighted the text, and handed it to the
reporter.

Basically I went to CSA and printed out the basics on what the disease is,
symptoms, treatment, etc.   That way she knew the basics for that.

Anyway, just to let you know all the opinions I received, I have listed them.
 I made sure that one way or another, they were all included in my interview.

Misdiagnosing
Wheat-free and gluten-free are NOT the same
Hidden gluten in the mfg. process
Reactions
That we do NOT get over this disease
The effects on the intestines and the increased risks of cancer
That we have to exam, certify, and verify all foods that go into our mouths
Inadequate food labeling by the manufacturer
That this is not a RARE disease, but rather 1/250  or even 1/150
Getting diagnosed in Europe takes 2 weeks.  In the USA, it takes 10-14 years!

I received a lot of encouragement from others who have undertaken this effort
in order to start a group.   I am hoping for a lot of phone calls, as I am
learning of more and more people with this, even people I knew.....but
obviously I guess I didn't know them THAT WELL!!

Anyway, they won't print this until about March 20, as I am going to be away.
Can't have the phone ringing off the hook and not be here!!   I even set up
the first Tuesday of the month as the target dates.   I will come back with
an updated report on how many calls I received, and I will let you know how
the article turns out.   That is the parts that really scares me!!

Bev

Mansfield, Ohio