From:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 18:40:21 -0700

I consider myself highly compliant when it comes to being gluten free (diagnosed Nov 05). My house is entirely gluten free and my husband, though not a Celiac, has joined me in being 100% gluten free. We eat out more frequently than I'd like because of our work, but even with eating out, I haven't had a problem. Until recently that is. The bloat and discomfort which I took for granted for so many years basically disappeared soon after going GF. But in the last couple of weeks, it has returned. I have a strong suspicion about it, but wanted to get some feedback from some of my listmates.

  We spent five days mid-July at a conference held at a hotel in NY. The kitchen staff was fairly attentive to our needs, though they grilled some of our chicken meals directly on a grill, despite our asking them not to. Other than that, I ate pretty simple fare, bringing our own salt and pepper, the kitchen steamed veggies for us or made brown rice (steamed in their own water) and we used olive oil and fresh lemon juice (they always brought us a whole uncut lemon) on our salad. Then the entire second week of August, we were at a conference held at a university in North Carolina. There were many people with food allergies and issues, and it seemed that the kitchen staff did an exemplary job of handling our food needs. Those with Celiac had meals prepared, covered, and kept in a cart specifically designated for those meals. We were told that the kitchen staff were made very well aware of the need to avoid cross contamination. I didn't have any issues when I was there, or at
 least I wasn't aware of them. Then from the 19th to the 26th, we shared a rental house at the beach with another family. Though the kitchen wasn't completely GF, the other family was very willing to accomodate us, and they were as careful as I think they could have been. We even had separate sponges to clean the pots and pans with. All GF food was prepared in pots and pans and with utensils that were labeled GF (that I brought from home). I made dinner for all of us, always preparing everything GF. The only difference was that when we barbequed, their food went directly on the grates, and our food was put in a foil pan and then put on the grates. But the food itself was GF, including what it was marinated in. The grates were scrubbed very well by my husband at the beginning of our stay. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken a chance with whatever drippings there might have been on the bbq briquets (gas grill). We were each on our own for breakfast and lunch. There were bagels and
 other gluten-containing food kicking around the kitchen, but they were kept on one side of the counter, away from the food prep area except for when they took them out of the toaster, put them on a plate, and buttered them with a separate tub of non-gluten-free butter. But the other family tried to keep the breads/bagels etc. carefully wrapped up and segregated. And the counters were wiped regularly.

  While on our vacation, we went out twice for lobster. After carefully questioning the manager and/or waitstaff at the restaurant, we felt confident that our food was safely prepared.

  Since being home for a week, I've had a stomache after almost every meal. The same old familiar bloat.

  When I was first diagnosed and I saw the GI doctor, he explained that if I were completely GF and then either intentionally had a bagel, my healing would be set back one month. Less so for half a bagel, and even less so for a few crumbs. But there would still be a setback, even if I only ate, inadvertently or not, a little gluten.

  I realize there is no way to really know if I was inadvertently "glutened" during any of our weeks away from home, but I'm wondering if I am now feeling the effects of what could have been accidental ingestion of gluten.

  It's rather disappointing, especially since I've tried to be so compliant since my diagnosis, even with going out to eat or eating at conference settings. But it feels like I take a giant risk every time someone else prepares our food.

  Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

  Best,
  Ellen A.