From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 22:14:16 EST

Mary Courtney shared some very interesting information regarding
"chometz" and a list of such items as being an appropriate guideline
to steering clear of gluten containing medications and make-up.
However, I would like to caution the non-Passover observers on this
list that there is much more involved in a product being declared
"chometz" or not kosher for Passover.

First of all, since the appearance of Lact-Aid on this list did not
strike me as likely, I called 1 (800) LACTAID and spoke with
Susan yesterday afternoon.  The reason Lact-Aid products are not
considered kosher for Passover is because it is cost prohibitive for
the manufacturer (McNeill) to produce it under the rabbinic
supervision necessary.  To produce products that are "Kosher for
Passover" a company must shut down and clean both physically and
ritually under the supervision of a rabbi.  The suppliers of the
ingredients used must also comply with this supervision.

I was assured that the lactase enzyme used contains no gluten and
while the ingredients in the caplets should be gf, McNeill could not
get such guarantees from their suppliers therefore they will not
guarantee that their products are gf.  They do not use flour on their
assembly of the caplets (I specifically asked).  I have used the drops
(lactase enzyme, glycerin and water)  and caplets (the formula has
just changed) for many years without incident -- presuming that with
the frequency with which I use these products even a minimal effect
would be cumulative and felt.  This is obviously a judgement call but
I can't help but feel that the Lact-Aid people have really antsy
lawyers.

I would like to reiterate that not everything that is considered
"chometz" contains gluten.  Rice that I bought before Passover would
be considered "chometz" and I would have to buy some that is "Kosher
for Passover" -- although technically rice is a bad example because it
is not usually considered an acceptable food during Passover anyway
(nor is corn or any foods processed with corn syrup although there
seems to be some discussion on that last item).  A better example
might be matzoh (which we, as celiacs steer far, far away from) which
is manufactured and sold all year round.  However, the only matzoh an
observant Jew will eat during Passover is that which was baked in a
facility that was cleaned and inspected under rabbinical supervision.
Any other matzoh would be considered "chometz".

For those of you who are seeking to avoid all milk and milk products,
however, the label "pareve" may make your label reading quicker.
Under the dietary laws of koshruth, you may not eat milk with meat (or
vice versa).  The term "pareve" indicates a food that can be eaten
with either such as eggs, tomato sauce (no cheese or meat), margarine
(that does not contain any milk), etc.  I would still recommend
reading the label because I am not certain where casein would fall.  I
would think that a "pareve" item could not contain any milk at all
including casein which is a milk protein but I don't keep kosher.

All of this is pretty confusing but I am sure that any rabbi in your
area would be happy to clarify this for you.  In the meantime, happy
Chanukah one and all!

Jane