Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2006 08:46:58 EDT

Dear fellow Celiacs:

I am proposing a different way of approaching our need and desire for more
gluten-free foods and restaurants with gluten-free items.

I am not sure of the sure of number of Celiacs in the United States,  but the
reality is that many of us do not dine alone or buy groceries for one. I
think as we write to manufacturers or restaurants for gluten free  information
every letter should begin with that statement.

Our diets have an exponential effect which we should exploit. Every time  you
choose one product  or your friend chooses a product for you, many more
people than Celiacs are using that product, i.e., Newman's Own  dressing over
another brand.

If we choose Burger KIng or Wendy's over McDonalds we may bring 5  people
with us.

It is very easy to discount us as a small number of diners or purchasers.
But, the reality is we take our families with us.  When I go to Wildfire, a
local restaurant with a gluten-free menu, I take my family with me. When I buy
Lays Stax instead of Pringles it is for my whole family. Everyone here  eats
the Kozy Shack pudding.

Recently, I wanted to buy sauces from the Barefoot Contessa, they all  seemed
to have gluten in them. My letter to the manufacturer began with this
thought, "Why limit your market. Not only will I not buy it but people who know  me
and would use it to make dinner for me won't buy it either."

Food for thought.      No pun intended.

Diane Smith