From:
Chloe Macy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:45:02 -0500

Dear List,

Thank you to those who answered my question.
Not many answers were sent, but here are the responses
received so far:

"Avoid echinacae if you are allergic to ragweed"

"I use alcohol free echinacae on my kids, one with celiac,
one without.  No problems used in moderation.  It has
really cut down on colds and illness"

"Might not be gluten free, what is your wbc?" (?/wbc?)

"We had a post a month ago, suggesting the same thing.  No
support for the immune system.  So I asked my doc, and he
said that there is no-to his knowledge-klinikel study on this
subject.  He didin't want to give advice in either direction.
So I am curious where you read this.  If there is something to this
then I would like to get him informed.  He also warned that these is
too much unproven advice out, especially on the net."

Kate Johnson posted a letter to the list (11/15/99) about echinacae.
She asked Dr.Fasano, head of the Celiac Research Center at Univ. of
Maryland. Dr. Fasano maintains there is no proof that the herb is
harmful to people with Celiac disease.

Again, thanks to all who answered. I will post if I get any more info.

Gwynneth in Boston