From:
Linda Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 15:09:55 -0600

I have had celiac disease for 14 years.  Am on a strict gluten free diet
and when I ingest a "dab" I have an immediate response.  I was having
problems with a lot of gas in December--went to a well-known clinic for
a week of gastro-testing.  Everything came back negative.  In April and
May, I became very ill and had only liquids for a week and then for
three weeks chicken rice soup and cooked rice cereal, lost 10 pounds,
missed three weeks of work and am just now beginning to eat again but
not able to gain weight.  During the "bad" time in April I I cannot tell
you how much gas and rumbling I had in the stomach--no diarrhea, but just
could not eat anything.  My doctor at that time did no more testing but
blamed everything on sprue (?).  Can everything be sprue related?  I
also have irritable bowel.  During this time I was not able to find a
food supplement that I could take (some were gluten free, but had calcium
caseinate (I cannot use dairy products).  I guess my point is, that there
was no one that gave me much help during this very devestating time (I
was probably sicker than I have ever been with my stomach).  I sympathize
with all of you and your problems . . . wish there was a little pill we
could take to make those villi behave the way they should!!!