From:
Howard Kass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 00:56:04 -0400

Does anyone know if there are any statistics as to how many people in the
U.S. have Celiac or some other wheat or gluten intolerance?  It would seem
that if there are enough of us, we should be able to influence
manufacturers to list ingredients and to influence our legislators to pass
better labeling laws.  Any thoughts or comments?

The reason I say this is because when I contacted Kraft Foods to ask them
about their gluten free list, they told me that they didn't have one, and
that they didn't know which products were GF.  They told me they didn't
have them listed that way.  They also said that due to the fact that they
get ingredients from outside sources, their outside sources don't want to
reveal their "secret formulas".  I told them that I didn't want to steal
their secrets, but that I just wanted to know if their products were GF.

The guy on the phone was very sympathetic and said he wished he could help
me, but he just didn't have the information.  He said, though, that if
enough people call and ask for such a list, perhaps it would send a message
that one is needed, and they may do something about it.  How about flooding
their phone lines?  The number is (800)634-1984.  Their label says, "Your
comments count."  After you call, have ALL of your friends and relatives
call, too.  Let me know what you think.

Cindy

--
Howard J. Kass, CPA                        [log in to unmask]
                                           Voice: (216)831-4141