Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:49:43 -0600

Re: Products labelled gluten-free, but manufactured in a facility that
processes wheat.

This happens ALL THE TIME !!!!!

Many if not most of the products labelled gluten-free are
prepared/processed in a facility that also produces wheat-containing
products.

I can think of two products made in a gluten-free facility:
- Rizopia pasta
- Kinnikinnick bread

And I can think of many more products labelled GF that are processed in
a gluten-containing facility:
- Real Foods Corn Thins
- Club House rice flour and potato flour
- President's Choice ancient grains corn flakes
- Nature's Path cereals and waffles
- Mi-Del animal cookies
- Bob's Red Mill flours and mixes
- etc etc etc

When you contact the companies they tell you it's OK because they are
careful and they clean between batches etc etc etc, and it seems to me
that many people on this list are content with that explanation.

I, however, feel very strongly about the use of powdered wheat products
(e.g. flour) in a facility where GF products are also being made, and
cannot eat most of these products without getting sick from the airborne
contamination.

In Canada, this is perfectly acceptable to the Canadian Food Inspection
Agency. As long as the gluten-free product, when and IF it is tested,
contains less than 20 ppm gluten, there is no problem.

It took me three years to figure this out. Very frustrating. I now know
to ask the right questions.

Janice.