Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:48:58 -0700

Thank-you for all the kind and informative responses to my statement about San-J Organic Wheat- Free Tamari.  This company admits that contamination is possible as they produce wheat- containing products as well. One person told me that they use the same equipment for wheat/non-wheat products, so it depends on how well the cleaning is done. Too risky for me! A couple of people said they have used the product with no reaction, but others have a history of problems with San-J.

Another person advised that barley flour is used in many tamaris, misos, and soys and it is not listed on the label.

Two responses said Bragg Liquid Amino is safe (and I have used that with no problems, but was out) and Whole Foods Eden Soy Tamari is well tolerated for them.

Several people advised me to consider other food allergies. Celiacs often have food allergies—especially to soy, eggs, dairy, corn, and nuts.  (Yowsa! What’s for dinner?)

One person sent an inquiry to WY Industries, the producers of the little packets of soy sauce given at Chinese take-out restaurants. WY Industries sent him a statement that their products are wheat-free. He gave their web address: http://www.wyindustries.com/

Barbara in Alabama