Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:16:43 -0600

Here's the first batch of suggestions with several links to useful websites.

Thanks to everyone.

I've got a "dessert cream" recipe which is just a cup of blanched
almonds, a half cup of hot water, and 4 or 5 dates blenderized.  It
really works!  Goes nicely on *top* of hot fruit crisp or cobbler.

Ellen

Almond Cookies

1 ½ cup almond meal (I buy at Trader Joes, or can grind raw almonds in a food    processor)

2/3 cup sugar

½ teaspoon vanilla

2 egg whites, lightly beaten  (or 1 Jumbo size egg white)

Mix almond meal, sugar, and vanilla, add egg whites and thoroughly mix. Dough will be sticky. (I mix mine in my food processor and add the egg whites with the motor running.)

Moisten hands with water to keep dough from sticking, (I use a small ice cream type scoop instead).  Roll a walnut size piece into a ball and place 1" apart on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper or parchment. Flatten top with a fork.

Bake at 350 degrees until starting to brown on top, approx. 15 minutes, (check bottom of cookies, they can burn easily). Remove immediately to a cooling rack.

PM

I put about 1/4 cup per 1 cup other GF flour in waffle batter.  That's
pretty tasty.

SC

Good baker's intuition. Almond Meal Flour is exactly the ingredient
for cheesecake crust in this recipe in the December 2004 Prevention
magazine. It's in a "low carb" recipe article, and about half those
recipes are also GF! This should get you to the recipe:

http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-3-82-301-4638-2,00.html

I haven't tried it yet myself, but it looks like it'd work fine.
--Ralph

I use ground almonds as my cheesecake crust all the time.  I grind them add
butter and a little corn starch. about 1/3 melted butter and 2-3 Tbsp corn
starch.  My family likes it and they are not restricted to GF diet.
Donna

I put almond flour (ground up almonds) in  most of my baking you could use the almond along with Bette Hagmans gf flour on top of apple crisp and I'd think it'd be ok
Lily

Almond flour is the basis of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet so lots of recipes out there on their sites:

http://www.scdiet.org/
http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes.html
http://www.pecanbread.com/
Anne in TX

There are some good recipes on this site for using almond flour

http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/cakes01.html

 Rebecca Reilly's gluten free baking book has some including almond flour.  I use it for cheesecake crust...including come chopped walnuts and butter...that's it! just press it into the pan and put the cheesecake mixture in just as you would for graham cracker or zwieback crust....its very good...the only thing it is not good for is coating things to fry or bake for a long time..it burns quickly I have found...almost any recipes using any kind of nut flour -you can use almond flour for....here is another source you can look at too....

http://www.pecanbread.com/recipes.html

ALSO. I buy my almond flour from www.almondsonline.com  they have the best price I have found as yet...though again I am always looking for others.

Donna in NY

Instead of purchasing almond meal flour, I just buy bulk almonds and grind
very finely in the food processor.  I use them often by substituting for a
certain amount of gf flour in recipes such as breads and muffins.  (For
example, if recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups total gf flours, I might put in 1 to
1 1/2 cups ground almonds, and then the rest gf flours).  This increases the
protein, iron, and fiber in the baked goods, and often adds flavor as well.
Lynn

I use it like breadcrumbs - as a filler in meatloaf, meatballs, to coat chicken...  My daughter really likes it and it is healthy too.  I'd love to hear ideas you get from other people.  We always have almond meal in the pantry.

 Kathy

I made an almond cake last year for Christmas Eve dinner with friends.  It
was wonderful!  I'll make it this winter again, I"m sure.  The recipe is at
this link

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=980&sid=91hH9H10EEkT5sj-23104183128.26
Dawn

Just loggin in the Delphi Support Group Forum:  http://tinyurl.com/57nov  and then, look for my thread:  "The Best of Mireille":  http://tinyurl.com/54suj

You'll find the Almond bread recipe, one of the best bread.  Just scroll down, it is under:   "bread"

Also, Betty Hagman, in her "Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread", used almond meal for the English Muffin recipe, and it is excellent.

For recipes such as crunch topping, I suggest to use half GF flour mix (recipe in my same thread "Best of Mireille") and half almond meal.

Good luck,

Mireille

Use Authentic Foods Almond pie crust mix.  Fool proof!
Jeanne

The Gluten Free Pantry sells almond flour and several years ago had a little pamphlet of recipes available for $1.00, if I remember correctly.

Carole Breckbill
4700 N Sacramento #1
Chicago, IL 60625
phone/fax: 773-463-4739