From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 1995 14:21:45 -0400

To Chris, Elizabeth Jenkins, Mike, Taylor Cushmore, Dr. Fasano, and any
others who have joined in the discussion about treating symptoms by going
on a gluten free diet without  a gluten challenge and without a biopsy:

Thanks so much for entering into this discussion.  I am glad to hear all
sides of this subject.

If the biopsy were difinitive and could pinpoint just one disease, I might
think it was mandatory, but the doctors with whom I have spoken have said
that there are a number of causes for flattened villi, so the diagnosis is
not exact. To ask someone who has put him/herself on a gluten free diet and
has removed symptoms to return to a gluten containing diet seems almost
barbarian, especially when that patient is  yong child.

 My son reacts to gluten containing foods by becoming "fuzzy headed" and
having what he calls "The Slows".  He also becomes irrationally angry, as
do I.  I however,eventually developed  the classic diarrhea symptoms and
that has never been his problem.  Living gluten free has made him a happy,
cheerful, quick witted individual and he is extremely careful not to ingest
gluten.  As I am especially interested in possible gluten-free diets to aid
in cases of schizophrenia, MS, clinical depression, autism - maybe even
lupus - I wonder whether any of those illnesses show any problem in the gut
as a symptom???

I have had my gluten sensitivi son's two children visiting for a month.
The older boy suffered with terrifying nightmares night after night - the
same as he does when he is at home.  Four days I  ago I put him on my
gluten free diet just to see what would happen -and not a nightmare since.
Furthermore he has become much more cheerful and easy-going.  Like father,
like...  Are nightmares a valid reson to quit eating gluten?  I don't know.

I tried to send a message to [log in to unmask] and was not successful,
so I will say to Chris, that I have lived in Bristol, England and loved
every minute in Great Britain.  We've traveled all over England, Scotland,
and Wales and would return yearly if the dollar weren't so depressed.

Thanks to all of you.  Hope to meet a few of you in Baltimore.

Gayle