From:
Deborah Kate Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 01:08:03 -0400

Well,it figures my first query of the group would be this one: since I was
a child (I'm now 53), I have periodically had what I used to call "stomach
attacks" where I begin with what seems like indigestion/heartburn and then
notice large amounts of continuous thin, clear drainage from my sinuses
down my throat. If I try to spit it out I am spitting a very long
time...usually I tire of that and swallow the watery stuff. But soon after
that I begin vomiting. Years ago, before I was diagnosed with celiac (last
Oct.), an allergist and a gastroenterologist speculated (after seeing no
ulcers then with repeated endoscopies) that my various environmental
allergies combined-food/pollen combinations-at certain times of the year,
and that histimines in the stomach stimulated too much acid production.
Each time the encdoscopy showed a stomach full of acid and that's all. The
allergist suggested I try to notice what I was eating at those times and
the gastro doc suggested zantac twice a day (which I've been taking for
about 16 years, I think) and to "never let your stomach get empty. Eat a
few crackers every couple of hours, at least." (Funny, though, I could
never get those saltines down!) Unfortunately the episodes still came  and
over the years became more frequent and long lasting. I'd end up on the
floor for hours, eventually vomiting bile. I couldn't eat or swallow water
for up to three days sometimes. I hoped that when I was diagnosed last fall
this would stop. I expected it would, actually. When I had an attack in
February I attributed it to dairy and chocolate. I'm a vegetarian and eat
more dairy than I should---well, I did until February. : )  I'm also a
chocoholic but hadn't had any from Oct. till near my birthday, Valentine's
Day, because I didn't yet know that any was allowed on the celiac diet. So
for the two weeks around my birthday I REALLY enjoyed "legal" chocolate.
Dove was legal, according to it's maker. No more chocolate for me since
then. Now I've already had another of these episodes, this time with a
weeks worth of diarrhea, though not violent, it's persistent soft stool and
I'm gassy, of course. I was feeling so healthy and now I feel very celiac
again. This time I suspect potato chips, but I've only eaten "legal" ones.
Still, I've probably eaten too many. So now I suspect that I simply cannot
have the fat in the chips or dairy.

        I'd really appreciate hearing if anyone has had these types of
allergic reactions and what you might have learned about them. Thanks a
million. Deb

--
Deborah Kate Hammond