From:
Barbara Fudge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Fudge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:09:12 -0600

You are right - I wrote it wrong.  I should have said Celiac Sprue.  Thanks

I got many answers and I want to thank everyone.  It was wonderful to have so many people who cared and encouraged me.
Almost everyone told me that things would get better and in time I would feel so much better and adjust to a new way of eating and they gave me great information to help me.

So many told me to think out of the box and not feel that I had to have breakfast foods at breakfast.  Many eat vegetables, soup, last night's leftovers, or any gf food they would like to have. One lady said that she had reversed her meals and had supper in the morning, lunch at noon and breakfast in the evening and it worked out well.  I know that I have read that it would be much healthier that way.

Some suggestions that were made for breakfast were fresh fruit, sunflower seeds, nuts, rice cakes with nut butter or fruit spread, gluten free bread with peanut butter and jam, applesauce, smoothies, low fat yogurt, veggie stir fry, and mush or polenta.  Different varieties of gf pancakes and waffles were suggested and freezing them for quick breakfasts was a great suggestion.  These all sound great except I cannot eat the seeds or nuts because I have diverticulitis.  I wish I could.

Many of the hot cereals were suggested including cream of rice cereal, steel-cut oats, grits, and quinoa.

Some meats that were suggested were bacon, turkey bacon, and sausage.  A kind lady offered to send me her recipe for sausage made from ground turkey and spices.  I am anxious to try that when I get the recipe.

Several people suggested Rice Chex or Corn Chex but I read the ingredients on these and they contain BHT which I started avoiding some time ago as I read that it was one of the worst preservatives there is.

One kind lady sent me the Specific Carb Diet and said it had been very helpful for her and it looks like it would be a good diet and I am going to try it.  Thanks!

Some suggested that perhaps it wasn't the gluten free cereals that made me sick but the milk and suggested almond milk, soy milk, lactaid milk, rice milk, coconut milk or goats milk.  It was also suggested that I try lactaid pills.

Several people suggested their favorite brands for the gf foods they were telling me about.  However, most of them were brands that I cannot buy here.  I live in the northwest Florida area and there isn't a lot of gf food to be gotten in the stores but it seems to be improving.  There are only a very few restaurants with gluten free menus.  Most of the others try to help but I often get sick anyway when I eat there.

It was sugggested to go to the General Mills gluten free products website to get ideas for things to eat and I did.

A good suggestion received was to keep a diary of what I eat to determine what makes me sick or to follow an elimination diet.

Several cookbooks were suggested and I have some that I am using.  They are very helpful.

Once again I thank all of you for your help and kindness.

Barbara