From:
Stephen Bean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 07:36:16 -0500

Ok guys.  For the most part I've quietly sit back and read your suggestions
and gleaned a lot of valuable information from your experiences.  That's
meant giving up my favorite foods, kissing my gluten infested wife, and
numerous arguments with my use to be friendly doctor.  Now I'm stumped with
something I've not seen discussed.

Diagnosed Celiac a year ago (age 40) from biopsy.  After being GF for 6
months, biopsy showed normal.  Good news.  Now though I seem to be having
problems with many of the same foods and products I used the first six
months.  Reactions used to take 36-48 hours, now less than 12.  Reactions
differ depending on degree and type of product ingested and seem to include
deep depression and lethargic moods to the violent cramps, nausea, diahrea
we're all tooo familiar with.  The depression, lethargic behavior is
accompanied by a physical slowing of the reflexes (signficantly) and mental
numbness (more than normal I'm told).

Now I've noticed that the last 3 times I've relaxed in the hot tub, I've
developed  flu like aches all over my body within 6-12 hours.  The first
couple of times I wrote it off to flu and over exertion.  This time though I
feel fine physically as far as congestion or sinuses go.  I am a little
lethargic, but mostly because I physically feel so rough.

Literally every joint in my body aches to the point I can hardly move, and
then only slowly and with great pain.  Original symptoms did include some
arthritis, but only in some joints, hands and bum hip and knees.  This pain
is much more severe and widespread.

I've not picked up much on absorption through the skin, but is it possible
that the relatively long (20-30 min.) exposure combined with the hot (104
degrees F) temperature are causing me to absorb the bromine and my joints to
react tothe exposure instead of my gut?

We use Bromine, though I've noticed some reaction to chlorine too, which
doesn't really tell me anything.  Since it is not intended bor ingestion,
the contents listings are pretty vague.  Then is it all bromines, or can I
get a brand that doesn't have gluten, or am I just nuts?

Thannks for any help on this guys and gals.

Steve Bean
Kansas City, MO USA