From:
"Denise C. May" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 14:17:13 -0400

Hi list,

I waited to post this to the list so I could calm down a little, but I'm
still really upset.  I'm upset with physicians and with my family.

A good neighbor of my parents' died a little less than a year ago and no
one seemed to know why.  I don't have much contact with people in the area
anymore except for my bother and sister-in-law and they didn't know what
happened.  My mother keeps in touch, but she didn't know what he had died
from.  "Some strange thing that confuses the doctors," was the best answer
I could get.

I went to a 60th anniversary party last Saturday and saw his wife.  We
talked about him and she told me he couldn't eat wheat, oats, barley, or
rye.  I asked if he was Celiac and she said, "Yes!"  Now, I've told my
family about my Celiac disease and my son's, husband's, and sisters.  My
sister has told them.  These people should be able to at least remember the
name!

This good man had to wear adult diapers at times to go away from home.
He--like me--was overweight.  It took the doctors three years to even test
for Celiac disease.  By the time they discovered it, he had had two heart
attacks, was mal-nourished and had contracted Lupus.

My mother still says that he died from Lupus.  That may be part of it, but
Celiac got him.  It makes me very angry that my mother denies how serious
this disease is, that my brother can't even remember the name, and that
doctors dismiss heavy people out of hand.  This death was senseless.

I'm sorry to vent like this, but I knew you listers would understand and it
sure does feel good to let it out.  I hope the US medical community wakes
up soon.

Denise in Tennessee

Denise May