Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:39:23 +0100

>A long while ago, there was a question (from me?) about the difference
>between celiac disease and gluten intolerance. .... But I want
>to summarize what I know, because I don't think everyone is aware that
>there are two distinct conditions that respond to a gluten-free/dairy-
>free diet.

This post was somewhat surprising to me.  My understanding is that the
primary difference is between celiac disease and non-tropical sprue.  Celiac
disease occurs in children and can be more severe than non-tropical sprue.
At least more toxic sooner to a small growing body.  Left unattended to
nontropical sprue can also produce some quite debilitating symptoms (see Jax
Lowell's book or many testimonials on this list).

The basis of either of the two diseases as I understand it is sensitivity of
the gut "gluten-like" proteins in wheat, rye, barley and oats or peptides
from them.  These produce an auto-immune response that results in villa
destruction (or lack of maturation of them) and inability to absorb
nutrients.  Both diseases can involve "leaky gut".

All the symptoms described appear to celiac condition.  However, the casein
connection appears to be different in some.  I thought this was primarily in
children and may be associated with autism.

From the posts yesterday, it seems that gluten may cause problems for
everyone and just be more intense in some than others (those with
celiac/sprue).

We also heard earlier from Paul Shattuck and others that that female
hormones may change the "leaky gut".  I am now taking hormones since I am
going through menopause and find that there is a big change in my system, re
sensitivity to diet, in the week I am not taking hormones or when I start
again.

                           Martha Teeter