Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:58:35 +0100

I have found the restaurant cards in the back of Jax Lowell's book Against
the Grain very helpful.  But one omission is translation of the text into Hindi.
There are a number of Indian restaurants where I live now in Germany and I
would like to be able to have them understand what I cannot eat.  Can anyone
translate the card below into Hindi, or another commonly spoken Indian
language? I have modified her text slightly to exclude mention of buckwheat
and millet.
Gluten Intolerance Card
I do not speak your language. I have Celiac disease.
If I eat any food (or flour), product, chemical additive, or stabilizer
containing even a trace of wheat, rye, barley, oats, grain vinegar, malt,
modified food starch, triticale, oil in which these products were cooked or any
derivatives of these grains, I will become ill.
I am able to eat foods containg corn and rice.  If necessary, please check with
the chef to make sure my food does not contain any of the ingredients listed
above and help me to order a meal I can safely enjoy.  Thank you very much!
                                   Martha Teeter