From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:07:43 -0700

In my experience any top quality coffee is safe as long as it has not been
'flavoured or blended with anything but another top quality coffee, or
contaminated in the handling.  Many quality restaurants use this type of
coffee.

However, other restaurants, diners, cafeterias, etc. (ie. coffee at work)
frequently buy their coffee from a company that pre packages it in filters
and/or sells specifically to the trade.   Some of these coffees have been
"enhanced" or "extended" by the addition of roasted wheat or barley.

As coffee is easy to prepare I find it best to brew my own when uncertain.
A small coffee cone, filters and coffee are the first things to go into my
suitcase kitchen.

If you carry the cone type filters, you can use the little Mr. Coffee
machines in hotels by laying a cone filter flat in the basket with the edges
coming up the sides, put your coffee on that and hop in the shower.

As a real addict to that first mug of the day I never take chances.

Jessie