From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:47:38 -0700

A list member just sent along interesting idea.

He posts:  "I have been reading your posts with interest and one thing that
I have not heard is the fact that some brandy makers use bourbon barrels to
age their brandy for flavor.  I checked this out with Heublein who makes
Christian Brothers Brandy some time ago, and the nice lady that I was
talking to was quite surprised to discover that their brandy that was made
of gluten free ingredients was aged in bourbon barrels.  I have to tried to
find a brandy or a cognac that was not aged in bourbon barrels, but was
unable to verify this.

Now the question is, is there gluten contamination from aging in bourbon
barrels?"

This points out to me that I should have made it clear that the 'safe'
Napoleon brandy I drink is St. Remy Napoleon Brandy, produced, aged and
bottled in France. It is 'produced and blended from selected french wines'.

It seems that brandy produced on this continent is quite probably NOT gluten
free.

Jessie in BC