From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 10:04:36 EDT

On Sun, 25 Jun 1995 12:07:03 -0400 you said:
>I am a therapist for an autistic child.  His test results came back that he
>has a yeast infection(which almost 95% of autistic children do).  He can not
>eat yeast or sugar because of that.  He is currently on meds but trying to
>find "rewards" for him is very tough.  I practice the Lovaas method with him
>and am in desperate needs for rewards.  If anyone has any recipes or know of
>any "fun" foods that a child would like, that doesn't include sugar or yeast,
>please e-mail them to me at [log in to unmask]  Not only would you be
>helping me but you would being helping him as well.

Sue,
If you can find 100% vegetable glycerin (try the health food store) this will
make an acceptable sugar substitute.  It can be used to make cookies that you
could break into small morsels for reinforcers.  I recommend finding Gail
Burton's anti-yeast cookbook (again look at a health food store that carries
books) for recipes.  There are many quickbreads (like muffins) that can be
sweetened with this glycerine.

My son was on this diet for several months...it was hard but we managed. His
school program isn't strictly Lovaas, but they do use reinforcers.  We used
salty reinforcers such as chips and popcorn.  But I also made ok (not great)
cupcakes, brownies and cookies.

If you have access to the WWW check out my page on diets and autism at:
http://www.princeton.edu/~lisas/gfpak.html

LL