From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 12:12:23 EDT

Chocolate Chip Cookies
=======================
1 1/2 C White Rice Flour*          1/2 C Sweet Rice Flour
1/4 C Potato Starch flour          1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp gf baking powder           1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt                         2 eggs
1/2 C sugar                        1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1 C butter/margarine**             12 oz gf chocolate chips
1 tsp alcohol free vanilla***      1 C chopped nuts, opt.

Combine dry ingredients in small bowl.  Cream sugars and shortening till
well blended.  Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Gradually add
flour mixture and combine.  Stir in chips, nuts.

Drop by rounded tsp on an ungreased sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 375 and
cool on a wire rack. Can also be made into "pan" cookies by placing in an
8" square pan and baking 20 minutes.

These are a fairly soft cookie, and good enough to "pass".

 * I like to use the very fine white rice flour that you find in
   Asian groceries.  They make a cookie with a better "mouth feel,"
   far less sandy.

** We avoid casein, so I use a dairy free margarine. I suspect that real
   butter would make a crunchier cookie.

***In all likelihood any minute amount of gluten from alcohol in vanilla
   would bake out anyway. But if you want to be very careful, Frontier
   brand makes a decent alcohol free vanilla, or you could use vanilla
   bean (Bury a split bean in your sugar and leave for a week and you'll
   have lovely, subtley flavored vanilla sugar.)