CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 21:40:36 -0400

Agaiin, sorry for the delay in finishing this. Surprised there've been no
comments yet. Well, there will be on this one.

FIrst, glycemic index again. Here's an address on it:

http://www.cruzio.com/~mendosa/gi.html

A simple interpretation of the index: it's a relative measure of the
percentage of carbohydrate of a food absorbed in three hours as measured
from average blood sugar over that three hour figure after eating a fixed
number of carbohydrates grams. GI of "white bread" (wheat) is 100. All
these complaints about rice and corn being so high, presumably compared to
wheat, are not born out by this list. Brown rice 81, though it can be
higher in other forms, especially instant overcooked. Foods low in GI are
simply digested over a longer period of time, leading to safer, flatter
blood glucose. Type 2s should not overeat low GI foods based on blood
sugar alone as the calories are still there. Notice the very low indices
of the  various dried beans --50 for green peas, 37 for (red) lentils, 20
for soy beans. Those using insulin may have to adjust their ratio of long
to short acting when using foods this low.

More carbohydrates now. Three that can be even used in breads, etc. when
combined with others: buckwheat, quinoa, and amaranth. These come from the
dicot family of foods, not the monocots where the grasses, hence toxic
grains reside. Most plants are dicots, not monocots and include nearly all
you find in the produce section of a supermarket. Limited fossil records
show monocots and dicots diverged from each other soon after flowering
plants emerged. Hence independent evolution, hence Don Kasarda argues,
very little chance that the dicots are toxic for celiacs. Given we all eat
untested other dicots ( potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cucumbers.
tomatoes, etc. etc), why do two celiac organizations say no? No data, says
one. Well, OK, but now forbid all plant foods if that's your real reason.
"Reaction data" (uncited in the medical literature), also says this
organization. Well, there's a well-known food allergy to buckwheat (IgE
not IgG as I recall), but all this says is that people who do react to any
of these should avoid them. I recall a woman posting to the celiac list
that she'd gotten a (non-DH) rash from amaranth, for example. Final
argument against these is contamination. I wish these organizations had
done some research on this instead.

Here are two buckwheat sources that have mills that grind only buckwheat.
Products from both can be found in the NE US or ordered direct  either in
the whole grain form or as flour:

Bouchard Family Farm, Maine 800-239-3237. They grow only buckwheat and
potatoes. "Celiacs are among our best customers", says Rita Bouchard.

Birkett Mills, PO Box 440, Penn Yan, NY 14527 --largest buckwheat producer
in the world.  They have separate mills for wheat and buckwheat, though
some may feel safer ordering only the whole groats (great hot breakfast
cereal or potato substitute) and grinding their own flour. 315-536-3311.
I've seen the uncooked groats under the Pocono Mills label in stores and
the toasted form  under the Wolff's Kasha label. Latter comes in different
granulations If you mail order from them, you get a flyer that mentions
both celiac AND diabetics. They mention the slower digestion of the
buckwheat, hence smaller effects on blood sugar.  Yup, glycemic index is
only 74.

That's enough controversy for one message.

                         Kemp