CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:40:22 EDT

Steven,  I think that you have not been on a glutenfree diet long enough to
jeopardize the tests, but would highly suggest that you go back to eating
gluten.  I have read that one can have these antibody tests once one has been
on a glutenfree diet to see if one is accidently eating gluten.. If one has
not been, then the antibodies should be at their normal level.  One of my
sons' test showed high levels of antibodies, and he had the most severe of
the symptoms.  He was on a diabetic exchange diet, and we replaced dairy with
breads and stuff to see if he was lactose intollerant.  He got worse, lost
lots of weight, muscle mass, and all the other classic symptoms of Celiac.
He also needed less insulin most of the time.  But his rapid decline in
health is what saved us, I think.  My other son had not grown much in 2
years, was often anemic, wouldn't eat much, but did not have such obvious
symptoms.  He was not on the "enforced" diet, that his twin brother was on.
And we  were  not heading anywhere finding a diagnosis for him until Joseph
got so sick.  Joseph's antibodies were sky high when he had his biopsy done.
Thomas had his blood test done after Joseph, His antibodies were higher than
normal, but not alarming.  The biopsy is what proved his Celiac.  They both
improved rapidly after going on the diet.          I wish you luck with your
tests.   And I do recommend eating gluten before your tests.   Let me know
how things are going.   Mary