C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:17:59 -0500
From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
A special needs trust (or supplemental needs trust) will protect the
income from counting against SSI, Medicare and Medicaid.  The catch is
that the person for whom the trust has been created cannot have any
direct control over it; the trustees determine how to spend the money
(which is partly why it works the way it does). However, done
properly, a special needs trust has a lot of flexibility.  The other
catch is that when the person for whom the trust is created dies the
trust may have to repay Medicaid benefits received during the persons
lifetime.  Do a Google on "special needs trust" if you want to dig
into the details...

--
Peter Hunsberger