C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Mauro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 07:45:14 EDT
Did any of u see this dumb show, THE OBLONGS?  The main character is Bob, who
has no arms or legs.  The kids are Siamese twins, a mentally disabled kid,
and a little girl with a penis growing out of her head.  And then there's the
alcoholic wife.  The show is on WB network.  it's rated MA.  But it's on
early and kids will watch it.  Why any adult with a brain would, I'm not
sure.  But this show is one big negative cliche about disability.  Every
negative stereotype is in it.  Just wanted to know what you all think.

All I can say is that as I read the book FREAK SHOW and how the disabled were
exploited during the heydays of sideshows and freak shows, I'm beginning to
think those days have returned.  We are being shown to kids not as people but
as freaks by THE OBLONGS.

Again, what do u think?

Bob Mauro - [log in to unmask]
  Visit My Website   --->     <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter">BOB MAURO'S WEB SITE</A>
    Visit My Art Gallery --->     <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter/art.html">BOB MAURO'S ART GALLERY</A>
     Visit My Ham Radio Web --->          <A HREF="hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter/kz2g.html"> BOB MAURO, KZ2G</A>