C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
drewblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:50:43 -0600
> What is Saul Steinberg still doing on this list?  Can somebody cash a =
> Quicken check from a real bank?

I can't help you with the first question but I have had some little
experience with printed checks. There is one way to make sure that any
bank will take a printed check without any whining. You would have to
buy a laser printer and then buy special magnetic toner at a hefty
price. This is not a great option unless you are printing hundreds of
checks a month. On the other hand there is no legal reason that the
banks can refuse to accept a legal check, but they will try. You see,
banks make a lot of money selling checks and don't want to lose that
income.

Some banks and stores are still using magnetic scanners to read the bank
code on the bottom of the check. Even though most are changing to the
cheaper and more reliable optical scanners they will still try to tell
you that it needs to be printed with magnetic ink knowing that it is
just not an option for most people and forcing them to buy their
overpriced checks. What happens at the bank when they come across a
check that their scanners can't read, is that it has to be read by a
real person. As you know people are one piece of equipment that banks
are trying to do away with. Some stores also have magnetic scanners at
the check out but I don't think there are too many as most stores can't
afford them. You might have some problem passing a check at those stores
but if you talk to the manager something could be worked out, after all,
they want your business.

I'm still learning all this on the fly. I'm setting up a computer for a
friend with CP who is unable to write a check by hand and would love to
not have to rely on staff and friends to write them for him. I tried to
explain this to the bank and tell them that this is an accessibility
issue but they have no sympathy.

While I'm out of lurk mode I have a question. I know this has been
answered many times but I need to know how to subscribe to this list so
I can get my friend on here.

Jim Loveland