C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:55:32 -0400
Agreed.  There is a place for personal responsibility with respect to
disability, but people who engage in self-destuctive behavior don't seem to
"get it".  You and I and the rest of the list-members (with CP) had no
active roll in our disability, but the smoker who has gone through 2
packs/day for forty years, ignoringing the surgeon generals 1964 warning,
suddenly claims the entire responsibility for his/her cancer or emphysema
lies with the tobacco companies.  This, despite a plethora of "free"
taxpayer-funded programs to help the smoker cease and desist.

Alcoholism, for example is widely recogized as a disease, but an individual
CAN stop drinking--witness the millions of sober alcoholics who have
12-stepped their way to sobriety.  They took personal responsibility, even
though there might have been a genetic proclivity toward alcoholism.

I now am "afraid" to exercise my legistated rights under the ADA because too
many people have used it to excuse themselves of personal responsibility.

I agree, for the most part, with your obesity stance as well, Kat.  I think
if we look at photos of obese folks in their youth or eary adulthood it's
pretty obvious that most weren't driven down the "fat" road kicking and
screaming.  On the other hand, Laura is always "fighting" her weight, but if
you look at photos of her as an infant she was chubby even then.  She's darn
near six-feet tall and has a large frame, so she's always going to be larger
than most women her age, but she's pretty firm and is in excellent
cardio-vascular health.  Still, we have this cultural dichotomy in that
"skinny" is the ideal, yet people eat themselves into oblivion.  It puts a
lot of pressure on someone like Laura, who is never going to be "skinny", no
matter what she does.  It's doubly frustrating for her, as I can eat
whatever I want, as much as I want and have always been at the lower end of
the height/weight ratio tables  (I think many CPers have a fairly rapid
metabolic rate, though I've no documentation to back this up).

Regarding the liberal/conservative issue, both dominant politcal parties
disgust me at present.  I've been a registered Republican since 1976, but
I've been investigating the Libertarians of late.  Don't agree with every
plank in their platform either, but I do think that they've got at least a
grasp on common sense.  The elephants and donkeys are so out-of-touch with
the "average American" that I don't think either are relevant anymore.

-Kyle