C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:15:32 -0700
mary, recently I heard of disaboom, a website for pwd, before you reinvent the wheel, take a look at disaboom.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.zazzle.com/TamarMag*
Tamar Mag Raine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

----- Original Message ----
From: Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 5:34:08 PM
Subject: CP and adulthood - website idea

hello,

I am thinking about starting a website/message board for adults with CP.? with the saying:? because we grow up

in other words, why such a site is needed.? :)? anyway I am not making any promises and I am recovering from illness so it would be several months at least.? However, I have a library science degree and a lot of Net experience.

if there was a site, what topics would you like to see?

mine would include:? dating, marriage, children (the child debate and living a fulfilling life either with or without kids.? I do not have them), pets :), money, employment, and thoughts on getting older.? not as lectures but short pieces with people's ideas and experiences.? also, suggestions for kids in terms of mentoring, careers, etc.

for people who do not work:? what do you do?? how do you want to spend your time?

nonverbal methods of communication.? this has been a huge area of success for me, in terms of, I can do alot nonverbally that I cannot do verbally.

the experience of more unusual types of CP, I have ataxia with various features like fluctuating tone.? experts recognize it but I did get skepticism from one doctor.

how to define our lives so that we have control, rather than being defined by (in my case, muscle weakness and tremor).

and assistive equipment and making it more comfortable and attractive.? I would like to see nicer wheelchairs, pretty colors etc.

using creativity to have nonstandard careers, if working outside the home is not desired/possible.

those are some ideas.

please let me know what you think

thanks

Mary Katherine