C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:01:58 -0700
Ken, Mike, et al,

But how much would the deficit have increased without the tax cuts under
Bush?  And how many of us on the list have been able to directly benefit
from those cuts?  The reason I say "directly benefit," is that I don't
want to start a thread on trickle down economics.  Even Reagan and Bush
Senior (President Daddy) backed away from that.

Under Bill Clinton, we had budget surpluses, and now with Dubya, we have
the largest annual deficits ever, even with the massive cuts to social
programs.  Granted, part of that is due to the hurricanes, and the war,
both of which, IMO, were, and continue to be, terribly mishandled.  To
push to make the tax cuts permanent during a time of war is
irresponsible, and flies in the face of the "paygo" (pay as you go)
budgetary process.  The earliest reference I can find to PAYGO is in an
article about the 1993 Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, which means
that it was most likely instituted under Bush Senior, if not before.

Yesterday I heard a statement by Secretary of State Rice about Iran,
which sounded eerily similar to the "saber rattling" that went on before
the start of military operations in Iraq.  I agree that permitting Iran
to develop nuclear weapons capabilities is not a good idea, but the
thought of entering another military conflict when there are potential
diplomatic options still to be explored is frightening.  This is all the
more disturbing when Iran is the piece of real estate that would link
Afghanistan and Iraq, where there is a current US combat presence.

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950