C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joanne Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:11:09 EST
In a message dated 02/17/2000 11:47:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I haven't read the Time article about the Reevenator,  >>

I didn't SEE the commercial with Reeves walking.  Did it really imply that he
was walking or was about to in the immediate future or was it just a case of
wishful thinking on viewers parts?
Talking about celebrities with acquired spinal cord injuries and instantly
acquired disabilities, I find it to be rather eye opening and anything but
inspirational.  Does anyone remember Mike Utley from the Detroit Lions and
his nationally televised "first steps" several years after the spinal cord
injury on the field. His first steps, meant to give others inspiration
consisted of two other Lion players needed to lift Utley out of his WC and
put him on his feet (and that guy is still massively big!!!!),support him,
and his girlfriend(pt) to basically move/guide his feet for him to walk.  The
3-4 steps" that he took left sweat rolling of his body (and his spotters and
girlfriends).It really changed my perspective. I admire his preservation but
wonder just what other marvelous things he could have accomplished in this
world with the time and devotion he spent in taking those "steps"

Joanne