C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:40:00 -0700
Hello Everyone,

So true....love over power. Anyhow Case, now 12, had his second
surgery May 31st on both legs percs, gastrocs, hamstrings, botox, casts
for
6 weeks and rehab. I'm sure most of you know the routine. The family chose
Shriners this time and they were good. In this new economy of the rich and
bloated there were not the same options as last time anyhow.
So I spent the summer in HI with him and now that he is older he is more
cognizant of the enormity of his challenges. I tried to stress how it's up
to him to stretch and strengthen, notice what's happening and evaluate
what
helps most..He turned down the "scarier" more invasive surgeries to
reposition his heel, transfer tendons, etc. You never know if you've made
the
right choice but simply hope you are making a good one. We had fun
too. We swam with cast covers and rode bikes and at the end when they ok'd
him to run, we played tennis again.
He has a yoga teacher who is very devoted and came 6 days a week after the
surgery.
It is hot yoga and we used the jacuzzi to warm him up before his practice.

She could tell the difference in his stiffness
depending on whether he was warm or not. When he turned 12 mid August he
got to go to the adult class
so now he really has a challenge. So far he only does the floor series.
But he is attending
adult class twice a week and she still comes to the house four times.
As for me I am looking for a place to live dedicated to peace, also
cheaper, and am going to South America. I went two years ago and loved it
and now I am going back to look around some more. Many countries have
rejected outside corporate influence and I think the days of our turning
over their governments with military juntas are over. Ecuador in particular
has given the same legal rights to mother earth as people have in their
forward thinking constitution, the first country to do so but others are
following suit. There seems to be more of a commitment to bringing the
whole country up economically than to pandering to the rich, a progressive
democratic country like America is supposed to be. Anyhow I want to grow
old in peace, not in permanent war. It hurts my heart that we drone other
people and do not even report on the million and a half displaced Iraqis
because of us.
It is also a country of immense biodiversity, only the size of Colorado,
yet with 20,000 foot peaks, sub tropical glaciers, the jungle, as well as a
few hundred miles of pristine coast on the Pacific. Humane and decent
health care is only $100/month. The province I am thinking of has an
organic food coop, the food is delicious and the water clean. At 5000 feet
it is still tropical so you are in the mountains and growing tropical
plants, bamboo and bananas. Anyhow my first goal is to spend a year there
and see what it is like year round.
I often think how far disability checks would go there and what a kinder
gentler life they are living.

All the best to you,

Linda

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 17:54:06 -0700, Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>