C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Mcintyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:13:56 -0700
Thanks Kathy! I am excited to find a real group, ha, ha.  I have been looking
for awhile and have been very frustrated by the number of attorney firms that
pose as CP support groups.  Let me introduce myself to everyone.  My name is
Laura and I am a mom to 4 wonderful kids.  My youngest son, Seth (14 months old
now) was born 16 weeks early at a whole whopping 1 lb 7 oz.  Due to his extreme
prematurity he had several medical problems at birth including Intraventricular
hemorrhage (brain bleeds) grade 3 and grade 4 with resulting hydrocephalus.
Three weeks ago he was diagnosed with CP.  He has low muscle tone in his neck,
upper torso and lower extremeties with spasms below the knees, although no
contractures.   While I knew from the time he was born that getting a diagnosis
of CP was a very real possibility, having it actually said has made me an
emotional train wreck.  Adding to that, just trying to take all the new
information in, acquiring equipment, starting new therapies is it's own
challenge.  I got divorced while my son was still in the NICU so there's nobody
for me to talk to about worries and concerns.  It's even more frustrating for me
at times because I've been a nurse for several years now, but have no experience
in this area.  There's so much information, some very conflicting, to sort
through.

Wow, that sounds like I'm ranting doesn't it?!  I am excited to get to know
everyone, and I hope nobody minds me picking your brains for information.  And
maybe letting me vent once in awhile.   I promise not to make it a habit, lol.
It really is kind of a relief just knowing there's others out there that are
affected by the same thing, in some way, and joining together to support one
another.

I look forward to talking with you all more.

Laura